Morning and evening, day and night - your skin doesn't follow a 9-to-5 schedule, but your skincare routine should. Just as you adopt to different activities throughout the day, your skin benefits from a tailored approach in the morning and the evening. Think of it as a dynamic duo: your morning skincare routine sets the stage, while your evening routine works the night shift. Let's see how this works.
Morning skincare routine: A shield for the day ahead
Your morning skincare routine serves as a protective shield, protecting your skin from the environmental aggressors (pollutants, UV rays) it encounters during the day. Here are the essentials for your morning skincare routine:
- Cleansing: Start your day with a gentle cleanser to remove any sweat, oil and impurities that may have built up overnight. A quick cleanse helps to create a clean canvas for your morning skincare products. We recommend Purified: Purifying Cleanser
- Tone: Spritz a hydrating, alcohol-free toner like Harmony: Radiance Boosting Toner to prep your skin for it's next steps. Toners can also replenish any moisture lost during cleansing
- Antioxidant serum: Antioxidants can help defend your skin against free radicals and environmental stressors. You might like to use a vitamin C serum, for example
- Moisturiser: A lightweight, hydrating moisturiser locks in moisture and keeps your skin comfortable throughout the day. Pick a moisturiser for your skin type, whether that's oily, dry or combination here
Sunscreen: This one should go without saying by now. But just in case - a sunscreen is a non-negotiable (even on cloudy days)!
Evening skincare: The time to repair and renew
Naturally, our body's focus on repairing and regenerating overnight, as we typically slow down. So it's the perfect time to tailor your evening routine to your skincare goals. Here's what you should be thinking about for your routine:
- Makeup removal: Start your routine by gently removing any makeup, sunscreen and oil that has accumulated throughout the day. We recommend using an oil cleanser for this step, such as Clarity: Nourishing Dual-Phase Cleanser, as oil absorbs oil
- Double cleansing: Follow up with a gel-based cleanser to cleanse water-based impurities such as sweat and dirt. We recommend Purified: Purifying Cleanser
- Exfoliation: Exfoliating the skin helps to remove dead skin cells, reveal a more radiant complexion and allow for better product absorption (aka it helps to make your skincare products work even better!). Exfoliate 2-3 times per week, depending on your skin type, with a chemical exfoliant like Canvas: Resurfacing AHA & BHA Treatment or a physical exfoliant like Polished: Refining Exfoliant
- Treatment products: This is where your skin goal products come in. In the evening, you can use targeted treatments like retinols, peptides, or serums that address specific skin concerns like fine lines, breakouts, pigmentation, etc.
- Hydrating products: Finish it all off with a rich, hydrating serum and night cream to lock in moisture and support your skin's natural overnight repair process. We recommend Essence: Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid & Ceramide Serum followed by the right moisturiser for your skin type, here
Consistency is key when it comes to skincare routines. Regardless of whether it's morning or evening, the most important factor is to follow your routine consistently. Remember that it may take time to see results, so be patient and allow your products to work their magic.
Remember, your morning and evening skincare routines serve different purposes. The morning routine focuses on protection, while the evening routine focusses on repair and rejuvenation. By tailoring your skincare to the time of day, you can help your skin look and feel its best, day in and day out.