Along with the winter season and the freezing cold weather, the onset of colds, flus and other bugs begin to wreak havoc on your mind, body and skin too. Because when you’re existing in survival mode, feeling lethargic and under the weather, often the last thing on your mind is your skincare routine. And because being sick is super stressful on your body, it shows up on your skin – skin dryness and dehydration, dull-looking skin, puffy eyes, chapped nostrils and lips... you know how it goes!
So, here’s your reminder to keep up your skincare routine even when you’re feeling unwell – it's a little something to help you feel better even if your body is feeling dreadful. Here’s our low maintenance tips!
Keep your routine simple
Less is more and we know you don’t have the energy for a 10-step skincare routine, especially while you’re unwell. Because your skin is likely dry and dehydrated, keep potent actives like AHAs, BHAs, retinol or vitamin C at bay until you recover, and avoid using exfoliating products too. Focus on nourishing your skin so you can restore it to its balanced, hydrated self! We recommend a super easy routine including a cleanser, toner and moisturiser.
- Clarity: Nourishing Dual-Phase Cleanser – Start your routine with an oil cleanser to nourish with essential fatty acids, improve the skin barrier's function and keep skin healthy and hydrated too – assisting to combat dry and dehydrated skin from the get-go
- Harmony: Radiance Boosting Toner – Spritz a balancing toner onto your skin to increase its level of hydration, right before applying your moisturiser. This will help the moisturiser to absorb (increasing its effectiveness) while really addressing hydration for your dehydrated and dull skin
- Moisturise - Right after spritzing your toner, apply your moisturiser your dampened skin, to restore skins hydration. Choose the right moisturiser for your skin type – whether that’s Sol, The Limelight or Luna Vitality
Assist skin redness
If your skin has become sensitised and red during your sickness, you may need a calming, cooling extra pick-me up! So, we recommend getting some probiotics into your routine.
- Luminosity: Brightening Probiotic Mask – Leave Luminosity in your fridge so that you can apply to skin cool. This will feel calming in itself. Leave on for 5-15 minutes while the ingredients work to reduce the appearance of redness while brightening your dull skin back up to (bonus win!)
- The Limelight: Brightening Probiotic Lotion - Reduce the appearance of redness and deliver much needed hydration into the skin – another double win!
Heal a red or chapped nose
If you’re looking at a large pile of used tissues on your floor, the skin on your nose is probably paying the price with the likes of redness, dry and flaky skin (chapping). You’ll want to slather a nourishing moisturiser that’s infused with lipid-rich oils such as jojoba oil that is both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial too. We recommend Luna Vitality: Restoring Moisture Cream
Soothe chapped lips
Chapped lips are the worst! They’re also one of the first victims of skin impairment when you’re unwell. Make sure you’ve got a rich lip conditioning treatment handy. Look for humectant ingredients like macadamia butter and coconut oil to actually maintain moisture in your lips. We recommend Luscious: Conditioning Lip Treatment
Keep your hands nourished
Don’t forget your hands! You could be washing your hands for the millionth time in order to rid yourself and your environment of germs – but all that hand washing will undoubtedly leady to dry and cracked hands, and it’s an awful feeling. We keep Healer: Protective Hand & Nail Cream handy to revitalise compromised skin.
Skin aside, don’t forget to rest up! You know the drill – drink plenty of fluids and loads of soothing tea, eat nourishing fruits and veggies and get some vitamin and mineral supplements into you as needed.
Feel better soon!