Whether it’s regular breakouts, hormonal breakouts or even what we’ve come to know as maskne, at one point or another we all need a go-to routine filled with a few key products to assist breakouts. And when you’ve tried everything from medicated creams, spot patches and diet changes – a few simple tips and some regular skincare products should come as welcome news!
So we’ve pulled together our simple tips, products and routine advice to help you break free from the cycle and liberate your skin.
What causes breakouts and maskne?
First things first, let’s get clear on breakouts and maskne because after all, knowledge is power! Breakouts occur when your pores or hair follicles become clogged with oil, daily dirt and dead skin cells, causing the likes of pimples, whiteheads and blackheads. With daily dirt and an ongoing skin cycle, breakouts tend to feel like a constant (and frustrating) evolution of clearing up and breaking out. When it comes to maskne, it’s also a result of clogged pores, however it’s exacerbated by trapped humidity and sweat, as well as friction, which are caused by wearing a face mask over the nose, mouth and chin.
Make a few small changes for a big impact
- Cleanse regularly - Simple enough, be sure to wash your face in the morning and evening, or after exercise, to keep skin clear of the oil, dirt and congestion that cause breakouts. Use lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser. Pat dry with a clean towel. Avoid rubbing your skin and using harsh cleansers that aggravate your skin and exacerbate breakouts
- Reduce makeup - Avoid adding heavy products to your skin such as foundation, concealer and blush that are likely to cause congestion and breakouts, and prolong the healing process of breakouts too. It might feel like overexposure, but allow your skin to breathe and fight the cycle!
- Reduce heavy oils - Avoid using heavy oils in your routine that could cause further congestion. If you have dry or dehydrated skin, opt for a lightweight oil instead and focus on the dry and dehydrated areas only
When it comes to maskne, there’s a few specific tips to consider:
- Regularly wash mask your mask - Always wash your mask before reusing it with a gentle, unscented laundry detergent and allow it to dry completely before reusing it
- Choose gentle mask fabrics* - Opt for cotton, satin or gentle mask fabrics where possible to lessen the effects of friction against your skin
- Apply moisturiser - Be sure to apply a light moisturiser (low in oil) to your skin before you wear your mask as this will also help to lessen the effects of mask friction against your skin
Treat your breakouts with a simple routine and the right products
- Step one: Cleanse – Wash regularly with a gentle cleanser to combat the oil, daily dirt and dead skin cells that cause breakouts. We recommend:
Purified: Purifying Cleanser: Cleanse away daily dirt, clarify congested pores and reduce the appearance of breakouts without drying your skin. Purified is a non-alcoholic cleanser.
- Step two: Mask – After cleansing, apply a mask (once or twice a week, depending on the masks’ instructions) to treat breakouts. Depending on your goals, we recommend:
Refined: Clarifying Red Wine Mask: Unlike other breakout-fighting products, a mask designed to clarify can assist to draw out impurities and pollutants for clearer pores, minimise excess oil that causes blackheads, reduce the appearance of breakouts and gently exfoliate the dead skin cells that cause congestion - to not only assist current breakouts, but also, help to prevent future breakouts – and that’s the key! Refined can be used as a full face mask or as a spot treatment.
Luminosity: Brightening Probiotic Mask: Reduce the appearance of breakouts and redness (among other brightening, elasticity and skin barrier benefits) to assist with calming and soothing breakouts. With included probiotics, Luminosity is also able to assist with a balanced microbiome which may help reduce the likes of eczema and breakouts.
Canvas: AHA & BHA Treatment: Tackle the congestion and dead skin cell build up that can cause breakouts, with a formula designed to gently exfoliate, clarify pores and diminish excess oil.
- Step three: Moisturise – Use a lightweight lotion to moisturise skin, soothe breakouts and lessen friction (with regards to maskne) without heavy oils that can cause further congestion. We recommend:
The Limelight: Brightening Probiotic Lotion: Soothe redness and reduce the appearance of breakouts (among other brightening and hydrating benefits). With included probiotics, The Limelight is also able to assist with a balanced microbiome which may help to reduce the likes of eczema and breakouts.
When it comes to breakout-prone skin, simplicity and consistency really is key. Keep your routine simple and use gentle products that not only target the cause of breakouts, but also help to hinder the cycle of future breakouts too – that’s where you’ll really find your skin liberation!
*Always follow the recommended COVID-19 health and safety advice under your local law.