Sometimes in life, less really is more. And this can hold true with your skincare routine. While a 10-step skincare routine sounds all well and good – is it necessary for your skin goals? Or can you achieve the results you’re after with just a few key products? We think so, and it’s called skin minimalism. A way to achieve your skin goals just minus the fuss!
Skin minimalism focusses on quality over quantity. And this should look like a combination of the non-negotiables (regardless of age and skin type) which are a facial cleanser, exfoliant and moisturiser plus a couple of targeted add-ons. We’re talking treatments, serums or oils that are directly aligned with your skin goals – e.g. addressing breakouts, uneven skin tone, pigmentation, fine lines… you get the drift. So without further ado, let’s look at a couple of minimalist routines based on three of the most common skin goals, shall we?
The breakout-prone routine
Goal: Reduce breakouts
- Cleanse with a gentle gel cleanser like Purified: Purifying Cleanser to reduce excess oil and reduce the appearance of redness and breakouts
- Mask with a clay mask like Refined: Clarifying Red Wine Mask to absorb impurities and excess oil that cause congestion, breakouts and blackheads
- Exfoliate twice weekly with a powder exfoliant like Polished: Refining Exfoliant to draw out and absorb excess oil from pores
- Tone with Harmony: Radiance Boosting Toner to diminish excess shine, dissolve clogged pores and reduce the appearance of breakouts all without drying the skin out
- Moisturise with a gel moisturiser like Sol: Hydrating Gel Moisturiser to deliver hydration while controlling excess shine and oil production, therefore lessening the chance of breakouts. Or opt for a lotion like The Limelight: Brightening Probiotic Lotion to deliver hydration while also soothing the appearance of redness and breakouts too
The maturing skin routine (anti-ageing)
Goal: Address the hallmarks of maturing skin e.g. dryness, dullness, fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, sun damage, etc.
Products: 5 or 6
- Cleanse why not address the hallmarks of maturing skin from the get-go? Start your routine with an oil cleanser like Clarity: Nourishing Dual-Phase Cleanser to nourish with essential fatty acids, combat oxidative stress (fine lines, redness, inflammation) and improve the skin barrier’s function to keep skin healthy and hydrated (the more hydrated, the more plump which means less fine lines too!)
- Exfoliate twice weekly with a powder exfoliant like Polished: Refining Exfoliant to unlock your youngest skin cells and freshest complexion. Exfoliating also helps your following skincare products to absorb properly – which is super important for a targeted routine like this!
- Treat everything from age spots, pigmentation, loss of elasticity and collagen production, and fine lines and wrinkles too with a collagen serum like Eternal: Plumping Deep Sea & Malachite Collagen Serum
- Moisturise with a rich cream designed to deeply hydrate, nourish and protect your skin, like Luna Vitality: Restoring Moisture Cream for a smooth, supple and revitalised complexion
- Treat dullness, pigmentation, sun damage, fine lines and even scarring with a product like The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion or really cap out your routine to seal in moisture for extra dry skin with an oil like Yester Youth: Regenerating Facial Oil
The glowing skin routine (anti-dullness)
Goal: Address a dull-looking complexion caused by flaky, dehydrated skin
- Cleanse with a cleanser like Clarity: Nourishing Dual-Phase Cleanser that nourishes skin from the get-go. The more nourished, the more radiant and glowy!
- Mask with a product like Luminosity: Brightening Probiotic Mask that is designed to reduce the appearance of pigmentation and age spots while promoting collagen formation for plumper skin too
- Exfoliate twice weekly with a powder exfoliant like Polished: Refining Exfoliant to polish away dead, tired and dull-looking skin cells, unlocking your youngest skin cells and freshest complexion. Exfoliating also helps your following skincare products to absorb properly – which is super important for a targeted routine like this!
- Treat everything from age spots, pigmentation and dullness (plus many other unrelated to ‘glow’ benefits) with a collagen serum like Eternal: Plumping Deep Sea & Malachite Collagen Serum
- Moisturise with a product designed to brighten your complexion and restore the skin’s microbiome to its healthiest balance with a lotion like The Limelight: Brightening Probiotic Lotion
- Treat dullness, pigmentation and sun damage (plus many other unrelated to ‘glow’ benefits) with a targeted treatment like The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion
Looking for more routine guidance? Check out our suggested routines based on your skin type here. These routines will show ALL products suitable for your skin type, in order of application throughout a routine. Just focus on the products that gravitate towards your skin goal, to keep a minimalist routine in check.