We’re here to let you in on a little secret. With a little know-how, you can increase your skincare products’ effectiveness by up to ten times (honestly!). Sounds too good to be true, right? But with just one simple step in your skincare routine, you can drastically increase the level of hydration in your skin and allow your product to work wayyy more effectively. Ok we can’t hold it in any longer – it’s moistened skin.
‘Moistened skin’, you ask? Ever the source of confusion, we break it down for you, so you can get straight into upgrading your routine!
What is moist skin?
So we’re all on the same page here, let’s get clear on what we actually mean by moist skin! It’s not sopping wet (if that’s what you’re picturing!), it’s either –
- Skin that has just been cleansed and not dried (which applies to the beginning of your routine)
- Skin that has been lightly spritzed (which applies to skincare layering)
How does it work?
Long story short when your skin is moistened it’s both hydrated and more permeable than dry skin. Think of it like a sponge… by moistening your skin before applying your product, your skin is best prepared to absorb your product thereby increasing your products’ effectiveness by up to ten times!
How do I moisten my skin?
Here are some simple ways to moisten your skin:
- Apply your product to a cleansed (but not dried) face within 60 seconds of cleansing
- Spritz toner
- Apply a hydrating mist
While this is all pretty straightforward stuff, it’s important to note that the way you choose to moisten your skin will be based on where you’re at in your routine:
- Beginning of routine: After cleansing (and not drying your face), apply product within 60 seconds
- Middle to end of routine (skincare layering): If you’re in the midst of a skincare layering routine (e.g. you’ve finished the cleanse, exfoliate and tone steps) simply spritz your toner or hydrating mist, apply your product and allow 60 seconds for your product to absorb and dry completely (because after all, we’re also trying to avoid skincare pilling too!). Then repeat – spritz, apply, dry until you’re finished your routine
If you need a quick reminder on the recommended RAWKANVAS skincare layering steps, here you go:
- Eye treatment
- Facial treatment
- Facial oil
- Lip care
What products does this apply to?
While increasing hydration and product effectiveness through moistened skin is the goal here, that doesn’t mean to say that this step applies to ALL products. Because some products and ingredients may end up overworking and therefore irritating your skin (the opposite of our goal!). So here’s a quick breakdown on where we’re at with RAWKANVAS products:
Apply these types of products to moist skin:
- Cleanser: Purified
- Exfoliator: Polished
- Mask: Refined (*See directions tab cos this one packs some punch)
- Toner: Harmony
- Serum: Eternal
- Eye treatment: Epiphany
- Moisturiser: Sol, The Limelight, Luna Vitality
- Facial treatment: The Foundation
- Facial oil: Yester Youth
Apply these products to dry skin:
- Mask: Luminosity (contains AHA’s to exfoliate)
- Mask: Canvas (contains AHA’s and BHA’s to exfoliate)
And just like that, your skincare will now work even better than it already did!