There’s one beauty that you might be missing out on because it’s one of the least understood, Retinol. Retinol, a coveted ingredient in skincare, is known for its cell-repairing ability to combat the appearance of ageing.
Known as Vitamin A, Retinol can visibly improve the appearance of wrinkles, speed up skin cell production to improve an uneven skin tone and smooth fine lines. An antioxidant which interrupts free-radical damage that causes skin to age, retinol increases collagen production and minimises the appearance of wrinkles from sun exposure. This powerhouse ingredient helps to revitalise your skin in sync with your nightly beauty rest.
Due to its potency, synthetic retinol is not well-tolerated by all skin. It can leave skin red, irritated and sensitive to the sun. Natural, plant-based retinols have come onto the scene. Just as sophisticated as their synthetic counterparts for the same results, without causing dryness, irritation, or flakes. It’s a dream of an ingredient if you’re someone with naturally dry, oily or sensitive skin.
What is Retinol?
Retinol is naturally occurring in dark leafy greens, broccoli and orange/yellow fruit and vegetables, such as carrots, sweet potatoes, papayas, oranges. These sources of beta-carotene are converted into Vitamin A by the body. Retinol, which a preformed source Vitamin A, can be derived from animal ingredients such as milk or egg enzymes. At RAWKANVAS, we utilise Retinol from plant-derived sources instead, called "carotenoids" from Carrot Seed Oil, a natural source of Vitamin A. The addition of Avocado and Sunflower oils in The Foundation retinol assists to activate the effects of Vitamin A.
What are the benefits of Retinol?
A natural anti-ageing ingredient, Retinol from carrot seed oil can help to stimulate cell turnover, meaning dry and dead skin cells are shed and new skin is left in their wake. Not only that, but Retinol can boost the skin's elasticity and natural production of Collagen, meaning it can target dryness, breakouts, fine lines, wrinkles, dryness, pigmentation and sun spots with its natural brightening power. The perfect ingredient to add to your skincare routine as it plumps, smooths and firms the skin while also evening out tone and texture.
This ingredient packs a punch and is the ultimate multi tasker:
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Evens skin tone, reduces pigmentation and age spots
- Boosts collagen production
- Smoothes dry skin
- Increases skin firmness and elasticity
- Treats pimples and acne
- Improves skin texture
- Reduces pore size
- Acne & Scarring: Retinol assists to unclog pores and prevent further build up so as your pores can actually breathe, your other skincare products can sink in to your fresh skin and if you’ve struggled with acne in the past, and have some pesky scars to prove it, Retinol has been shown to prevent and assist with acne scarring.
- As we age, our skin cells tend to pile up. Retinol works on a molecular level to increase cell turnover meaning a smoother texture, brighter complexion, smaller pores, diminishing hyperpigmentation, less dark sunspots and age spots. Sick of large pores or those dark age spots that you can never cover up with foundation? Maybe you aren’t a makeup person, how about having the confidence to leave your house without any makeup on and have people comment on how beautiful your skin is? Retinol will be your friend!
- Psoriasis: If you battle with Psoriasis, Retinol assists to reduce the appearance by slowing down the cell growth in those areas.
How do I use Retinol?
Retinol is perfect for all skin types, but should only ever be used at night. Why? Retinol can act as an exfoliant, resurfacing your skin as it stimulates skin cell turnover leaving fresh skin cells sensitive to UV rays. Remember to always apply sunscreen each day after using Retinol products.
If you’re new to using retinol, introduce it to your routine gradually starting with twice a week. After gradually incorporating it into your skin you can work towards using it every other day. You'll go through a process called retinisation where you’re getting new cells (thanks Retinol!) driving out the damaged cells, so it may look like peeling and redness on the surface. But don't worry, persevere and your skin will thank you for this!
- Apply retinol at night because it does make your skin sensitive to the sun.
- Use a moisturiser while using retinol to keep your skin hydrated.
- Always, wear sunscreen when using retinol. If you aren’t diligent with sun protection, even the best and most effective ant-ageing ingredients won’t assist to get you the results you’re looking for.
- Check the percentage: Make sure your Retinol is at a maximum 1% concentration. The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion has the highest and safest concentration of 1%.
- Dump artificial ingredients: If your Retinol has denatured alcohol, find something else as it can lead to unwanted skin irritation or increase the risk of a reaction. The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion is 100% natural.
- Look for vitamin C: Vitamin A and C work synergistically together, so you'll get the benefits of both when it comes to building collagen. The Foundation: Flawless Retinol & Vitamin C Lotion has both Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Double Whammy!
- Be sure to apply your retinol product around your eyes, and follow with a moisturiser or eye cream.
- Retinol is not recommended in conjunction with facial peels or deep exfoliation treatments not for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
- Store your Retinol away from direct light and don't expose the lotion to air.
Remember that it can take up to 3 months to see results, but for some of the lucky ones it might only be a few weeks!